I spent the last week doing a thorough intensive clean. It was strenuous, sticky, & at times even horrendously smelly. But it was 100% worth it in the end.
Most of my life I hated to do any kind of housework (& was often grounded & goaded by parents as a result) but now I understand a fundamental truth that practitioners of feng shui & minimalism have been proclaiming: a clean space is equated to a clean mind. Artists & creatives are also inherent mess makers, so the clean space represents the possibility of creative mess. Keep it clean between work for maximum mental clarity & positive mental energy, & then go crazy in creative chaos, genius!>
So here are 17 tips for infusing magic into something most consider rather mundane.
1. Set a intention for your cleaning session. “I intend to clean out stagnate energy.” “I intend to use this cleaning as a chance for active meditation.” “I intend to not stop till I’ve organized this cabinet.” etc.
2. Choose days that are astrologically sound for cleaning, detox & renewal. Even if you don’t believe that planetary vibes effect you, you can trick your brain into believing it, so you literally start to feel like you’re cleaning into the flow.
3. Try some feng shui.
4. Really thoroughly go through everything, spend a day (or however long it might take) to eliminate anything that doesn’t vibe magical in your life. Donate old clothes, burn old love notes, dust under the bed, try & eliminate junk drawers.
5. I learned this tip from The Happiness Project. Have one shelf in your room/house that’s completely empty, always. The emptiness represents possibility, openness, negative space (& the point of negative space is that it can hold the positive).
6. Use as many natural cleaners as possible (recipes!)
7. Reorganize, create new systems if necessary, add beauty.
8. Treat your sacred tools as sacred. Clean your paintbrushes & choose a magic home (a silk bag? a gorgeous jar? an awesome beer box?), throw away crappy pens (invest in really life changing pens!), whatever is sacred to you, treat it as if you’re a priest/ess & this is your temple, so treat them with respect!
9. Think about renewal & fresh starts while you clean. Really pour positive vibes out as you dust out old negative, stale energy.
10. If you start to feel tired or sluggish or sore, take a break, drink some water, put some music on, & dance as you clean. It’ll loosen up tense muscles, help prevent back pain, & put you in rhythm while cleaning.
11. Make or buy essential oil room spray. As you spray it, think of purifying the room of all negativity. I use a lavender lemon one that smells like a refreshing blast of citrus heaven. It’s my secret magic cleaning potion. (Burning sage or other herbs around the house really amplify this!)
12. Sprinkle sea salt around the doors & windows (& walls if possible, but unless you’re just moving in, sans furniture, this probably isn’t all that doable). This acts as a protective barrier around your house (& helps keep anxious minds at ease).
13. I love to hang up Tibetan prayer flags, mandalas, dream catchers, inspiration boards, etc all around my room, to remind me to stay positive/ vibe happy (plus they’re all really colorful & beautiful!).
14. Set up a space for a personal altar. Or if you already have one, clean, polish, & purify it.
15. Wash & shine your shoes!!
16. Get some crystals, clean & charge them & put them around your living space. You can read up on crystal symbolism, or go by your gut!
17. Bless your space, feel grateful for having a place to live (even if it’s not perfect, you have a home, which makes you very very lucky).
Do you have any good juju cleaning tips to share?